The City of Waupun Fire Department was unofficially started in 1871 when W.F. Olver built a portable pump at his own expense for the City of Waupun. The department became officially organized in October of 1874. Forty-five men signed to be on the first organized fire department. Today it is a combination fire department consisting of a full-time Fire Chief, a full-time Administrative Assistant / Fire Inspector / City Code Enforcement Officer, and 28 Paid-on-Call members.
The Waupun Community Fire Department is also stationed in the Waupun Safety Building. Together they provide protection to three townships (Chester, Trenton, and Waupun), the City of Waupun and four state prisons. Fourteen members of the City Department serve on the Community Department.