The Lomira Fire Department was organized in 1898 with Peter Wolf as Chief, an office he held for 20 years. The first equipment consisted of a two-wheeled horse cart and a hand pump purchased from the Waupun Fire Company around 1906. The pump was replaced some years later with a pump powered with a gasoline engine.
In 1924 a Model T Ford truck was purchased. This was equipped with two 24-gallon chemical tanks and various other equipment. A few years later, a motor driven pump was installed with a gasoline engine pumper. In 1930, the farmers of the surrounding area joined the village in the purchase of a new GMC truck, equipped with a 500 GPM Pirsch pump. In 1935 the village purchased a fully equipped 1935 V8 Fire truck with a 500 GPM pump. The department’s present equipment consists of:
• 1994 Custom full response 5 person crew cab with a 1500 GPM Waterous single stage pump with built in Class A foam system, electric mounted deluge, all electric valves and built-in generator. It has a 1000 gallon water tank and a 20 gallon Class A foam tank built on a 1994 Freightliner chassis with a 300 HP Cummins engine and a 5-speed automatic transmission
• 2018 Pierce 2000 GPM top mount control panel pumper with 1000 gallon tank, with a Cummins engine.
• 2000 Chevy C85 3000 gallon tanker, 300 HP Cat engine, with a 6 speed automatic transmission, and cabinets space for foam and spill kits.
• 1995 International pumper/tender. 1800 gallons water, 1000 gpm pump.
• 2005 4 door Chevy K3500 used for brush fires and winter rescue calls. It is equipped with an 18 HP pump and 200 gallon poly tank.
• 2008 Rosenbauer medium duty rescue on a Spartan chassis with 6 person crew cab. The unit has a PTO driven 15kw generator, and ample space to support our needs of today and into the future.
On March 1 1970, the Lomira Fire Department moved to its new station located on the corner of Hwy. 67 and Water Street and in May the paging system was initiated where all calls were handled by the dodge county dispatch center. In March of 1985 a First Responder unit was started.
The department covers territory in the Towns of Ashford, Byron, Lomira and the Village of Lomira and is lead by Fire Chief Keith Joas.