Horicon

The Horicon Fire Department was organized July 8, 1893. The Department's first fire engine, a Silby Steamer, was first put to use at a fire on March 11, 1894. Today, the department has three engines, a 105 aerial truck, a rescue truck, a tanker, a grass fire truck, a John Deere Gator, and a rescue boat. In 1992 the department moved into the newly completed Safety Building, which is shared with the Horicon EMS and the Horicon Police Department.

The record of fire loss in the City of Horicon and the surrounding areas served by the department speaks for the efficient services rendered by the department. The department is also very involved in fire prevention education in the schools. Each year we have fire prevention programs, poster contests, and tours of the station for the primary grades of all schools within the fire district. We also provide free smoke detector batteries and fire prevention materials to members of the community. This year we will be holding an Open House during Fire Prevention Week. Members are continually improving their fire fighting and rescue skills. All members are trained in the use of the Heartsaver Automated External Defibrillator and the use of extrication equipment. The members annually receive training in confined space rescue.

The department now consists of 31 members. It is the hope and prayer of every member to continue to hold the fire losses in our community and its surrounding areas to the very minimum.

The department was reorganized in December of 1969 with the Fire Bell Club Inc. becoming the financial branch of the department. The membership consists of all active members of the Horicon Fire Department. The Fire Bell Club is in charge of all fundraisers. The club currently holds a bowling tournament in January and an auction in August. All profits are donated to the City of Horicon in the form of equipment purchases.